|April 20, 2016 at 9:41 am #6400|
Reliance Jio’s 4G plans have run into rough weather in Salcete taluka. The company is facing demolition of a tower at Jaknibandh, even as it has been issued a show-cause notice over another ‘illegal’ tower at Chinchinim.
The Reliance tower installed at Jaknibandh is facing demolition as the Dramapur village panchayat has issued demolition notice to the company after it failed to provide a satisfactory response to the show-cause notice.
The panchayat unanimously passed a resolution to serve the demolition notice.
The company now has a week’s time to dismantle the tower, which has been put up in the area meant for widening of the national highway-17.
The panchayat had issued the show-cause notice to the company. However, the company failed to provide a satisfactory response to the notice. The matter was placed before the body, which unanimously passed the resolution to issue demolition notice.
Interestingly, the Navelim village panchayat, whose gram sabha also objected to the mobile tower, had written to the Dramapur panchayat over the issue.
Reliance is facing more trouble as another of its tower has also come in the firing line.
The Chinchinim village panchayat also issued a show-cause notice under section 66 (3-B) of the Panchayati Raj Act, 1994, for illegally putting up the mobile tower in the jurisdiction of the village panchayat.
The village panchayat had carried out a site inspection of the tower last month after the gram sabha raised objection over the illegally set up mobile tower. Thereafter the panchayat passed a resolution to issue show-cause notice to the company.
The PWD in its reply to a RTI application on setting up of 4G towers along the NH said that it has not granted any permission for setting up of the towers.
In a letter to the sarpanch of Dramapur-Sirlim village panchayat, the executive engineer, XIV division, said the office has not granted any permission to set up towers.
In all, 26 ground-based masts have been proposed in various villages of Salcete taluka; 11 towers would come up within the jurisdiction of the Margao municipal council.
Source/Reference: Navhind Times, “2 Salcete VPs put spanner in Reliance Jio’s 4G plans“