|October 22, 2015 at 6:00 pm #5954|
“I am helpless. I have been running from pillar to post to get this demand fulfilled by the government. However, the file is not moving, and we have not even received any communication from the administration as our MLA Alina Saldanha has raised objections to the same. I am trying to get this work done through Deputy Chief Minister Francis D’Souza,” said Figueiredo, while replying to a query of the villagers at the gram sabha.
The meeting turned ugly on several occasions as the members discussed a host of issues, including the action-taken report on the illegal cutting of mangroves and land reclamation at the Mini-India Park site, pending demolition of illegal structures on comunidade land, the panchayat turning a blind eye to the mushrooming illegal structures, identifying a garbage disposal site, and restarting door-to-door garbage collection. The villagers grilled Figueiredo on almost every issue, and especially on the garbage menace in the village.
“You first resolve the garbage issue as the whole village has turned into a garbage dump. First garbage issue, and then we will think of development in the village,” said a gram sabha member.
Figueiredo informed that the panchayat was trying to appoint a garbage contractor, for which a tender will be floated this month. He added that he was unable to act as the file seeking approval of the Director of Panchayat is pending before the Block Development Officer (BDO).
The members suggested that the panchayat send another reminder, and if required, take a delegation to meet the administration and even panchayat minister, or even call the BDO or Panchayat Director for the meeting.
Regarding the pending action against the people involved in the destruction of mangroves and the reclamation of land at Mini India Project site in Quelossim, the villagers again suggested that another reminder be sent to the police, and if still no action was taken, to approach other senior police officials.In a major decision, the gram sabha resolved to deny permission to MV Blessings, a tourist boat operator, to operate at the Zuari River and close to Cortalim Jetty.
Panch Raymond Desa also questioned why the panchayat had given the boat a provisional NOC last year, why the sarpanch did not place the issue before the gram sabha then, and why the issue had been placed now, when the operator had created the infrastructure and obtained permissions from all authorities.
On the issues of imposing taxes on rented premises and the pending appointment of an agency to survey the houses under rent, the members decided to ask the police to provide details of the people who have submitted the tenant verification form, and using the same, the panchayat should impose tax on those people.On the issue of giving an NOC for installing a mobile tower near Kesarval, it was suggested that the panchayat seek the locals’ opinion before granting the NOC.
The members also decided to ask the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to furnish a copy of the alignment plan for the new Zuari Bridge and the NH17 road as the Public Works Department (PWD) has no information of the same.
The villagers needed to know about the proposal and merits and demerits of both projects.
Regarding a tourism master plan for the village, the villagers suggested that before the panchayat suggests its area of strength for tourism, the authorities should explain the plans to the people.They also demanded that the panchayat write to the Town and Country Planning Department (TCP) seeking the status of the Regional Plan 2021 as over 600 applications for the same from Cortalim is pending before the TCP.
Source/Reference: Herald, “Alina’s objections stalled bifurcation of Cortalim-Quelossim: sarpanch“