|May 14, 2018 at 8:17 pm #8215|
Furious over comments that no houses in Cuncolim would be affected during the construction of the National Highway bypass, locals, contradicting the claims, said the project would affect over 36 houses and demanded a flyover to save the residential structures.
The comments came at an inspection meet called by MLA Clafacio Dias along with locals, councillors and consultants appointed to survey three possible routes for the bypass.
Speaking on behalf of the people, the MLA said, “If the authorities want, they can build a flyover to save people’s houses. They are spending so much of money, so they should do it properly without causing any worry to people.”
“I’ve spoken to the PWD minister who said nothing was finalised yet but if this route is chosen locals’ houses should not be affected,” he said.
Two months ago, TCP Minister Vijai Sardesai had asked the core committee to study the NH bypass in Cuncolim. Based on the committee findings, three alignments (or routes) were identified for the highway with the first choice being the route that ran parallel to the current Konkan Railway line.
It was then decided to survey all three alignments. Once the surveying of all three routes were completed, a presentation would be made to the locals for their approval.
So far, two surveys have been completed with the third expected to be done by the end of this month.
Locals have decided to wait till the third survey is done in order to have a meeting with the PWD and TCP ministers, show where the houses were being affected, propose a flyover and only then finalise the plan.
Locals began raising their voice before the third survey was completed after former MLA Joaquim Alemao commented that the first route was finalised adding that no houses were going to be affected.
Source/Reference: Navhind Times, “Cuncolim locals demand flyover to save houses“