|April 14, 2014 at 9:46 am #5310|
A week after the squall, Sattari and Bicholim are still limping back to life. Horticulture and agriculture took a hard blow during the storm and with zonal agricultural officers and other officials on election duty, farmers are struggling to submit applications for compensation.
P Tufani, director of agriculture told TOI, “Our officials have assessed the losses suffered by farmers. Zonal offices of agriculture at Valpoi, Sakhali and Bicholim will accept applications.”
Kishore Bhave, ZAO of Sattari said, “We have completed the first round of crop assessments in the hinterland. Presently we are on election duty. On April 15-16, we will start the second round. We are trying our best to complete the assessment of crops of squall-hit areas.”
Anant Hoble, ZAO of Bicholim said, “As per our assessment 40-45 farmers have been affected and a majority of the cases are from Maulinguem and Cudchirem. Primary estimates reveal losses to the tune of 30-35 lakh. We have received 10 applications so far.”
Officials at Sakhali told TOI that they have received six applications and a majority of the cases are from Varche Arvalem. “The process of assessment followed by a survey by officials of agriculture department is time-consuming and farmers are panicked and worried,” said Dashrath Morajkar from Ravan.
Source/Reference: Times of India, “One week on, squall-hit farmers await aid“