|February 24, 2014 at 5:09 pm #5204|
A few hutments, which had sprouted on land belonging to the Quelossim comunidade near Verna industrial estate a few months ago, have become an eyesore and villagers are irked by inaction on the part of authorities to raze them, sources said.
“These small huts have come up illegally and some workers are occupying them,” a villager said. Heaps of garbage is also being dumped in the open space adjoining the hutments and burnt often, creating dust pollution in the area.
The issue had figured at a fortnightly meeting of the Cortalim-Quelossim panchayat on September 30 last year and a resolution had been passed to demolish the illegal hutments in survey no. 47.
A notice dated October 11, 2013, had been issued against the illegal occupants of hutments, but they failed to produce any ownership documents. A final notice was issued by the panchayat to the occupants dated October 31, 2013.
Based on the resolution endorsed by sarpanch Hilario Figuereido, the panchayat had submitted a memorandum to BDO, Mormugao, on December 2, 2013. A letter had also been sent to Salcete deputy collector, sub-divisional magistrate, Margao, to remove the illegal structures.
Recently, Lopinho Xavier of Quelossim sought an explanation from panchayat authorities over the delay in demolishing the hutments. A source in the deputy collector’s office stated that a requisition had been received on January 14, 2014. “But more details about the number of structures have been sought from the panchayat,” a source said.
Source/Reference: Times of India, “Quelossim locals upset over illegal hutments“